Crack the Instagram Reels algorithm to boost your content reach and effectively engage your audience. Learn how to create successful Reels in 2024 and beyond.
The hunt for virality has never been more pronounced. From TikTok to YouTube and now Instagram Reels, content creators everywhere are continually trying to decipher the mysterious algorithms that power these platforms.
Instagram Reels, the platform's short-form video feature, is quickly becoming the most popular video-based brand awareness platform, making cracking the code on the Instagram Reels algorithm crucial to gaining audience attention.
In this guide, we’ll explore insights and strategies for amplifying your content's reach and resonance by creating content that meets the algorithm’s specifications.
What’s the Instagram Reels algorithm? 🤔
Reels is Instagram’s video-based content platform, and its algorithm controls who your content is shown to, when, and how often, among other visibility components. Here are a couple common questions and answers regarding this platform and algorithm:
- How do Reels work on Instagram? Reels are about 15–60-second long videos you post to Instagram. You can edit these videos much like you do with posts, using filters, adding stickers, and mentioning others, among other adjustments.
- How can you change the Instagram algorithm? Meta controls Insta’s algorithm, but you can change your content to respect the algorithm and have your content appear in more viewers’ feeds. We’ll explore how to do this below.
Why Instagram Reels are vital to your content strategy 💥
Instagram’s Reels platform has firmly established itself as a non-negotiable element of a successful social media content strategy because it offers the following advantages:
- Enhanced visibility: With Instagram showcasing Reels on its Explore page, even non-followers have a higher chance of encountering your content.
- Increased engagement: The concise and compelling nature of short-form videos fosters increased interactions, from likes to comments, bolstering your digital footprint
- More content diversity: Reels offer an avenue to blend brand storytelling, education, and entertainment, providing a multifaceted approach to connect with your audience.
- Easy trend integration: With the fluidity of social media trends, Reels act as a conduit to seamlessly weave in the latest crazes, ensuring your content remains fresh and appealing.
How does the Instagram algorithm work? 🤓
Instagram’s algorithm dictates where and how often content shows up as well as those it appears for. Your Reels can capture audience attention in three different areas on Instagram:
- The Explore page: The Explore page is a treasure trove of engaging content tailored to each user's interests. This is where Instagram Reels get prime visibility, attracting users who may not follow you but are intrigued by your Reels.
- The Reels tab: Located prominently on the Instagram app's bottom navigation bar, the Reels tab is a dedicated hub for Reels content, making it easily accessible to users interested in this format.
- The Main feed: Instagram's algorithm often includes Reels in users' main feeds. If your Reel is engaging and relevant to a user, it may appear alongside photos and other content from accounts they follow.
To show up often and for your target audience in any of these three areas, you need to create content that the platform’s algorithm deems worthy and relevant. While the Instagram algorithm changes all the time, here are a few standard specifications you’ll want to optimize your content for:
- User engagement: The algorithm assesses how viewers interact with a Reel via likes, comments, shares, and saves. The more engagement a Reel garners, the higher it climbs in user feeds.
- Information: The caption, hashtags, and audio track associated with a Reel provide context, and the algorithm factors in this information to determine where your Reel should be placed. Craft a compelling caption and use relevant hashtags to enhance visibility.
- Length: The algorithm recognizes that shorter videos are more likely to capture viewer attention, rewarding concise, engaging content.
- Consistency: Posting Reels consistently at peak engagement times can boost visibility. A regular posting schedule demonstrates your commitment to providing fresh content to your audience.
- Content quality: High-quality production values, creative storytelling, and visually appealing content increase engagement and, in turn, visibility.
How does Instagram suggest Reels? 🤲
Instagram suggests Reels based on the above specifications as well as a few more factors — here’s more on what they will and won’t suggest.
Types of content Instagram will suggest 👍
- Relevant: Reels that are contextually relevant to a user's preferences based on their activity and engagement history are shared with them before less relevant content.
- Engaging: Content eliciting high engagement levels, such as likes, comments, and shares, is suggested to a broader audience.
- Trending: Instagram's algorithm often recommends trending and viral Reels, ensuring users stay up-to-date with popular content.
Types of content Instagram won’t suggest 👎
- Inappropriate or violent: Instagram has strict guidelines against content that promotes violence, hate speech, and nudity. Such content is not recommended to users.
- Misleading or spammy: The algorithm typically downgrades Reels containing misleading information, clickbait, and spammy tactics to ensure user trust and safety.
- Low-quality: Reels with poor production value like low-resolution visuals and unintelligible audio are less likely to appear to users outside the creator's community.
8 best practices for hacking Instagram’s Reels algorithm 💯
To harness the full potential of your Insta account, you must know how to get views on Reels. Here are eight best practices that’ll help you drive more impact from your Instagram account:
- Start with a hook: Like any captivating book or movie, your Reel should start with a compelling hook. Grab the viewer's attention within the first few seconds with a strong beginning that keeps viewers glued to the end.
- Create high-quality content: Ensure your Reels are visually appealing, well-edited, and have clear audio. A polished appearance not only engages viewers but also increases the likelihood that the platform suggests your content.
- Tell a story: Whether a how-to tutorial, day-in-the-life snippet, or funny skit, storytelling keeps viewers engaged and eager to see what happens next.
- Optimize for mobile: Most Instagram users access the platform using their mobile devices, so ensure your Reels are mobile-friendly by using vertical and square formats.
- Use relevant hashtags: Hashtags are the breadcrumbs that lead viewers to your videos. Research and use relevant, trending, and niche-specific hashtags to increase discoverability, sticking to about 3–5 targeted hashtags.
- Interact with your audience: Create user engagement by responding to comments, asking questions, and encouraging participation.
- Ride the trend wave: Keep an eye on trending challenges and sounds, incorporating them into your Reels to align with the current cultural zeitgeist.
- Be consistent: Develop a consistent posting schedule, regularly sharing Reels to show Instagram you're an active and engaged user.
Join a community of fellow brand-awareness pros 🏆
Elevate your journey as a social media creator by taking the reins of your career. With Contra for Independents, you can present and manage your services without commissions. From seasoned experts to budding enthusiasts, Contra connects you with clients who value your expertise. You can even find the right freelancer to show you the social media ropes. Sign up today.
How to Repost an Instagram Story You’re Not Tagged In 🔄