Check out this in-depth guide to using promotional materials to captivate audiences and drive conversions. Plus, discover tips to design engaging materials.
As an Independent, you put in your heart and soul to build your brand. But is that enough? Not really. A brand is incomplete without customers, and to grab clients’ attention, you need to market your brand, products, and services. Enter: the transformative universe of online and printed promotional materials, which can take your marketing efforts to the next level and your brand to newer heights.
From an innovative business card to a pamphlet bursting with storytelling prowess, well-crafted brand collateral engages, captivates, and converts audiences. This comprehensive guide will tell you everything you need to know about using promotional materials to amplify your company’s reach and deepen connections with your audience, leaving an indelible impression.
What are promotional materials? ☂
Promotional materials, also called marketing materials, are content and products created to spread awareness about a brand and its offerings. They include everything from basic print business cards and brochures to more elaborate assets like signage and merchandise (such as T-shirts, mugs, and pens printed with your unique brand name). A graphic designer carefully crafts each item to power up your company’s narrative.
Different types of promotional materials provide essential information to potential customers. They engage and entertain the audience. In fact, in some cases, these materials surprise people –– for instance, you may co-brand with another company to expand your client base, and it could be a one-of-a-kind experience for your customers. Harnessing the power of promotional materials can genuinely transform a brand’s marketing strategy and make it more impactful.
5 reasons why your brand needs promotional materials 🧢
Promotional materials are vital tools in your marketing arsenal. They’re essential for successful marketing campaigns and offer exciting benefits for brand reinforcement and customer engagement. A representation of your brand, posters, brochures, ads, and more help you communicate with your audience.
Here are five compelling reasons to leverage promotional materials:
- Up your marketing strategy: Whether physical or digital, visual assets are vital for content and digital marketing strategies. No campaign is complete without them. Interesting content is a must for advertising your product.
- Boost brand awareness: Printing your logo and tagline on promotional materials, from business cards to merch, enhances visibility and recognition. It’s a great way to get the word out about your new identity if you’ve recently rebranded.
- Engage audience: Promotional items can create an emotional or physical connection (or both) with your audience. These interactions foster trust and loyalty.
- Are versatile in nature: You can use promotional materials across different settings. From trade shows and conferences to direct mail marketing and newsletters, you have countless opportunities to reach your audience and invite them to browse your brand.
- Drive conversions: In some cases, marketing materials act as calls-to-action (CTAs) to drive conversions. For example, a brochure may encourage potential customers to take the first step in the buyer’s journey by visiting your social media profile or website.
Benefits of investing in promotional materials 👏
Promotional materials are an excellent way to bolster your marketing strategy, strengthen your brand’s connection with your audience, and even increase sales. Here’s why investing in them is beneficial:
Better brand recognition ✅
Promotional materials are visual touchpoints that enhance brand recognition by consumers. Adding your logo and tagline to a mug, pen, billboard, social media graphic, or poster boosts the likelihood of customers remembering who you are when they need something you offer. For example, Coca-Cola likely comes to mind when you think of cola and the ethereal combination of red and white. That’s all because of their promotional materials!
Improved customer relationships
Promotional materials build and nurture client relationships. They make customers feel valued and appreciated and are a great way to stand out from your competitors. Personalize the materials to create an even more positive association with your brand — after all, gifting is a universal love language.
Happier employees 🧭
Promotional materials are not only external marketing tools, but they’re also internal morale boosters. Branded swag is a fun, engaging way to welcome new hires and celebrate current employees’ milestones and achievements. It helps employees feel valued, appreciated, and part of the team (and who doesn't like free stuff?).
Cost-Effective Marketing 💸
Promotional materials are surprisingly cost-efficient. They typically require a small initial investment, generating sustained exposure as customers and employees become brand ambassadors. Many promotional materials, like branded tumblers or even yard signs, are inherently long-lasting, making them a wise financial choice for companies of all shapes and sizes.
Increased sales and return on investment (ROI) 🤑
Promotional materials drive sales and, in some cases, deliver an impressive ROI. Every promotional item, whether physical or digital, is an opportunity to convert a prospect into a customer and generate income from your business.
8 promotional material examples 🙌
Promotional materials come in various formats, and this versatility allows businesses to tailor their approach based on their target audience, marketing objectives, and unique selling propositions. Brochures, products, business cards, and more do double duty: They allow brands to promote their offerings and provide a tangible way for customers to connect with companies.
Here are eight prime examples of promotional materials (and when to use them):
- Business cards: This promotional material is a timeless classic. Essential for networking events and meetings, it’s an easy, visually appealing way to spread the word about your business and give out your contact information.
- Brochures: Ideal for trade shows and direct mail campaigns, brochures are a deeper dive into your mission, products, and services. They’re great for educating your audience.
- Online banners: Typically used for digital marketing campaigns, banner ads can be placed on relevant websites to attract potential customers. They direct leads to your website or landing page.
- Promotional products: Pens, mugs, T-shirts, face masks — remember, the opportunities are endless. Add your brand logo to apparel and items for customers and employees to use at home and in the office. And these products are great options for giveaways and social media contests.
- Email newsletters: This promotional content not only nurtures relationships with existing customers, but it also helps develop relationships with new ones. Use email newsletters to share industry news, product updates, sales, special offers, and more. Don’t forget to add a CTA, including a link to your website and social media, to boost traffic.
- Posters: Posters are ideal for local advertising and large-scale events and are a fun, eye-catching way to generate brand awareness. Use them to share key information about your products, services, or upcoming events.
- Social media graphics: Social media isn’t going anywhere (we’re looking at you, TikTok and Instagram), and well-designed graphics are crucial promotional tools. Add these materials to social posts promoting your content and engaging with your community.
- Video content: Promotional videos take various forms, ranging from product demos to customer testimonials. They’re an exciting medium for communicating your brand message.
Tips for creating promotional materials 🎨
Crafting engaging promotional materials requires marketing prowess, strategic planning, and a keen understanding of your brand’s target audience. Here are three critical tips to help you create effective business cards, brochures, and more:
- Prioritize conciseness: Don’t fall for the temptation of including too many details in your promotional materials. Instead, aim for clarity by adding your brand’s key message, contact information, and CTA.
- Ensure consistent branding: Consistency is key when designing a branded mailer, flyer, letterhead, branded mug, or postcard. All your promotional materials should align with your brand’s style guide –– including colors, logos, and fonts –– to be recognizable.
- Leverage high-quality design and production: Premium-looking promotional materials reflect your brand’s authority and professionalism. Invest in professional design and high-quality production to ensure your items and graphics look and feel the best they can.
Hire a skilled graphic designer or marketer on Contra 🖌️
The transformative power of promotional materials supercharges your branding strategy and leaves a lasting impression on your audience. With benefits ranging from reinforcing your company’s message to fostering deep customer connections and driving conversions, they’re a must-do for marketing.
Creating effective promotional materials, however, requires strategic planning and a creative eye, and that’s where Contra’s independent graphic designers and marketers come in. Whether you’re looking for someone to create captivating, brand-specific visuals or write a compelling brand message, we have skilled Independents for every need. Start hiring on Contra today and take your marketing strategy to the next level!