How to Make Money Online: A Guide for Beginners 🤑
- Remote Working & Freelancing
There are many opportunities to earn extra income online, but it requires planning. Here are our tips on how to make money online for beginners.
The internet is bigger than ever, leading e-commerce to become an enticing route for those looking for lucrative opportunities. But are there easy ways to make money from home that will support you and your lifestyle?
Short answer: yes! Many possibilities await the innovative Independent, but getting started takes time and effort. When it comes to knowing how to make money online for beginners, here’s what you need to know.
Making money online 💰
Let’s be clear: There aren’t any real ways to make money from home for free. Whether it costs time or money, nothing in life is free. Despite what you may have heard about “passive income” and “free money,” creating a viable online income stream requires skill, effort, and passion.
When deciding how to earn money online, there are a few factors to consider before you get started:
- What can you do? One way to simplify a new money-making venture is to do something you’re already good at. If you have expertise that falls outside your usual work, advertising it online is a good side hustle.
- Do you have the time? There’s no point in developing a great online money-making idea if you don’t have the time to implement it. Ensure that an extra income venture doesn’t impact your full-time revenue stream.
- Can you multitask? Working on multiple online activities at once can be fulfilling and lucrative if you've got energy and time. Be wary of overdoing it, though. Don’t burn your candle at both ends.
- Have you done your research? Spend some time surfing the internet to get a good sense of the gaps you could fill with a side hustle. Research reveals potential markets and clients for your new venture. Market research can also open up new avenues for work, such as opportunities on social media platforms like Twitter or LinkedIn.
- What are you passionate about? Although your day job may not be something you’re passionate about, your side hustle can incorporate your interests. Online businesses are often quite niche and appeal to small, specific demographics. Find others who share your passion, and you will find an eager market.
Answering these questions gives prospective freelancers a basic idea of what business model they’re interested in and how much they can invest in the new venture. Now, let’s examine some specific e-commerce activities.
10 ways to make money online 💰
There are virtually limitless ways to make money online — some arguably simpler than others. However, none are guaranteed to make a lot of money, and all of them require hard work and effort to get started.
- Blogging. If you have a passion for writing and a topic you love, a personal blog can be a gateway to online income. Services like Google AdSense allow bloggers to include clickable advertisements on their site, which generate income each time they’re clicked.
- Freelancing. An Independent, or freelancer, sells their skills to business owners in need of short-term or highly-specific work. Freelancing includes everything from graphic design to construction. Contra is dedicated to an equitable, commission-free freelance experience and can help Independents both new and experienced.
- Consulting. Those with expertise in a particular field can earn extra income working as a consultant. In online courses, consultants bring specific skill sets with them and are well-versed in teaching those skills to others. A freelance writer might have a side gig consulting as an editor, for example.
- Voiceover work. Whether it's a cartoon, ad, film, or TikTok, videos are one of the most popular media forms on the internet. If you have a versatile voice and some acting experience, voiceover work could be a fun and profitable side business.
- Online tutoring. An online tutor has qualifications in a particular field and can teach those concepts to others. Online tutors work with people of all age ranges worldwide, depending on the subject and the freelancer’s preference.
- Online surveys. Though not the most lucrative revenue stream, online surveys are an easy and quick way to generate extra cash. Survey sites such as Survey Junkie and PrizeRebel will reveal quick routes to extra income.
- Video editing. Much like voiceover work, video communication is a vast market. Skilled Independents with expertise in video-editing applications can make extra money by offering editing services to those who need them.
- Website testing. Despite the expertise of web designers, UI/UX designers, and full-stack developers, websites still have glitches and flaws that only come to light after they go live. User testing on websites and apps provides feedback to companies so they can improve their online presence.
- Investing. Investing is arguably one of the most tried and tested ways to make "passive income." New online opportunities make it easier for potential magnates to begin investing. Intrepid freelancers may want to consider wading into the depths of cryptocurrency, although the instability of this new market makes it riskier than traditional stocks.
- Affiliate marketing. Marketing moguls with an existing audience can earn income through affiliate programs. This marketing strategy relies on an influencer to endorse and promote a product on social media or content-creation platforms. Links on each platform lead to the product or service, and the influencer (aka affiliate marketer) earns money based on clicks or sales of the product.
Frequently asked questions ❓
Do you need skills or experience to make money online? 💪
Absolutely. There’s a myth that making “free money” or “passive income” is possible, but this isn’t necessarily true. Any venture, no matter how easy or challenging, requires some skill and experience. At a minimum, an Independent seeking online income must possess basic tech literacy. There are no shortcuts to making money from home for free — any new business venture requires work, skill, and time.
How can I make $100 a day on the internet? 💵
There are quick ways to make money online, but some of the previous suggestions are more sustainable. Selling secondhand clothes, comics, or other possessions online via eBay, Etsy, or Amazon is another excellent way to make money, but it takes time. Regularly making $100 per day online requires time and planning.
How can a beginner make money fast? 🏎️
There really are no shortcuts to earning significant cash online. Any side job relies on an audience or customer who needs a product or service. Pinpointing that audience may take weeks or months. Even then, you'll be competing with other hopefuls. Perseverance is key to building a successful online business.
Begin your journey with Contra 🗺️
Hopefully, you now understand how to make money online for beginners. It’s an exciting thought — extra cash with minimal time invested. Although the reality may demand a bit more work, Contra is here to help.
Contra's commission-free, Independent-first platform has all the tools you need, whether you're a client seeking an Independent or a freelancer looking for extra income. Meet other professionals, build a portfolio, and get inspired by our vast array of expert Independents.